Sunday 3 January 2016

Crossing the Sea

Exodus 13:17-22

Having lost a dearly loved family member at the end of 2015 and finding myself at the beginning of another year of which the path is yet unknown, God could not have directed my vulnerable self to a more reassuring Scripture than that of Exodus 13:17-22.

Even the title given to this text could not have been more appropriate to my situation: Crossing the Sea. Indeed 2016 lies ahead of us like a sea to be crossed. Having recently visited the coast, I still have a very vivid picture of the ocean in my mind – masses of deep water as far as the eye can see. If you were given the task of crossing that sea whilst standing on its shore all on your own, you would know that it is an impossible task.

We all have different seas to cross. Our sea could be that impossible situation at work, a broken relationship, a financial crisis, sickness or the loss of a loved one. It could be this day or this year that lies ahead of us. In a way, it could be our whole life here on earth – crossing the sea could be our journey from our earthly birth through this life to reaching the shore of our heavenly home. Whichever one, this we know - it is above our ability.

Therefore I found deep assurance and comfort from the above Scripture. Four aspects stood out for me, reassuring me that indeed I do not have to do it on my own and that I have an almighty, sovereign and loving Father that will keep me on my journey and bring me safely across my sea. Allow me to share these with you:

Firstly, though the Israelites had to be and were armed for battle, the Lord did not prematurely lead them into warfare. Though the road they had to take seemed to be the worse one - a long way through desert country - it was in their best interest and to avoid a sure battle that would have sent them back the way they came. God had a plan and it was a good plan…it was the best plan.

Secondly there is the testimony of Joseph, a man who had a most challenging and difficult life. But, through all the hardship that Joseph had suffered in his life, he had found God to be utterly faithful so that on his death bed, he confidently put forward this request: “God will surely come to your aid, and then you must carry my bones up with you from this place.” 

Thirdly, the Lord Himself was with the Israelites and went ahead of them. God was not going to leave His flock to themselves. He was never going to leave them. He was going to guide and lead their every step.

Lastly, the presence of the Lord in the pillar of cloud by day and the pillar of fire by night ensured that the Israelites “could travel by day or night.” From this verse we can gather that, at times, the Israelites would have had to travel by night when it is dark and one cannot see where to put your foot. Yet God provided a light in the darkness…His presence was a lamp to their feet.

As you and I embark on our journey to cross our seas we can be sure that God will also be there for us in the same loving and caring way that He was there for the Israelites. We can go forward with the promise Jesus gave His disciples:


“And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” (Matthew 28:20b)

God bless and all the best for 2016
Lize 

2 comments:

  1. A great reminder of who God is, as we enter into the new year. There are many unknowns that await us, but comfort can always be found in knowing that as we "cross the seas" of life God is with us; making provisions, providing protection and guiding our steps.

    Thanks for writing this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tara, it is so necessary that we encourage and strengthen each other in Christ! Have a great year as you walk with Him!

    ReplyDelete