Tuesday 16 December 2014

God's journey with an atheist, with you and me


I have just read a most astounding book , ‘Surprised by Joy’ by CS Lewis. I have long known about the book without having any specific knowledge of its contents and have always wanted to read it. Yet, somehow this experience had to wait for just this moment in my life. Looking for a specific book in a bookshop while on holiday, ‘Surprised by Joy’ caught my eye and I knew not to pass it by.
 

Although I am always filled with an eager expectation when embarking on any book by a classic Christian author, I had no idea what God had planned for me in this one!
 

The book made for difficult reading. Lewis’ literary knowledge as well as his philosophical and analytical thought processes and prowess is far beyond my ability! Yet, while a lot of his discussion was a strain to grasp, an equal amount of it I found that I fully understood because I knew it, albeit on a different and more intuitive, emotional heart level.
 

To any person who has a remote interest in and love for literature and or philosophy, I would highly recommend reading this book which takes its reader on a whirlwind tour through the greatest authors and philosophers throughout the centuries (although this is not at all the purpose of this book.)
 

Enough said about that, I would like to share with you the message which the book so profoundly impressed on me. It is not a new message, yet its truth was reawakened in my heart.
 

Just yesterday I wrote a small devotion on my face book page, ‘Growing in Christ with Lize Dumon’ about our responsibility to know, discern, follow and obey God’s guidelines for us. Although this is undeniable, it is not the way to God or Jesus Christ; rather, it is taking ‘hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.’ (Philippians 3:12) for we do not find God, He finds us and He finds us and meets us where we are.
 

Observing SC Lewis’ journey from Atheist to Christian as told in ‘Surprised by Joy’, I was left anew with an overwhelming relief of a burden lifted from our shoulders for no matter what we still lack or what struggles we are still fighting, irrespective of the arrogance or ignorance or lack or follies or even self-centeredness or pride of our faith, God finds us there and will not leave us there! Equally true is that once He has our attention, He will never force us or remove from us our free will of choice. Yet, He will continue to call and peel and reveal one day at a time…
 

After reading Lewis’ book, I understand and hold close to my heart afresh the following promises of grace:
 

“…he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 1:6)
 

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30)
 

“And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.” (2 Corinthians 3:18)
 

As CS Lewis did, may you surrender your king to Him when He brings you to checkmate and may you consequently find that in losing your life, you have actually gained it in Him!!

Having read 'Surprised by Joy', I am also reminded again of a longing in my heart, a longing indeed of my soul to not only be known by God Almighty, but to know Him more and more.
 

For all my ramblings here, I can just pray, “Thank you Father for your love and for Jesus Christ and for life in Him. Thank you for being the great I AM and for interfering in my life. Amen.”


No comments:

Post a Comment