Friday 2 May 2014

To fear or not to fear

This week, I cannot help but to write about fear. Life is simply full of fear evoking things...


I live in a country often characterized by violence. This past week we booked ourselves into a beautiful reserve on the outskirts of Pretoria. Situated next to a lake, the resort was the perfect setting for a fishing trip for our boys. That is until we were alerted to the fact that there had been three cases of armed robbery in the past two weeks at the resort's camping site on the other side of the lake. Family and friends alike wanted us to leave the resort at once. What were we to do? Where would we be safe from life's dangers?


Someone once told me a story. There was a man who was on his way to city A when he overheard the angel of death telling someone that he too is on his way to city A. Filled with fear the man immediately changed his plans and went to city B instead. Great was his shock when, once in city B, he bumped into the angel of death. "What are you doing here? I heard that you were going to city A today?" he asked the angel. The angel answered, "Indeed I am going to city A later today, but first I had an appointment in city B...with you."


We could leave the resort but have an accident on our way home. We could arrive safely home but suffer ill health. Where will we be safe from death or sickness or any other calamity? Driven by fear, where will we run and when will we stop?


I want to be completely honest today. Bad things also happen to God's children. We are not exempt from the brokenness that characterizes life since the Fall. But we are not left on our own! God promises us in Isaiah 43:2 - "When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze." God will never leave us nor forsake us. In Matthew 10 Jesus told the disciples, "Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of you Father. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows."


You and I matter to God. When we are allowed to go through the fire, the water, the trial or the calamity we can know that He will be there with us and we will receive from Him the protection or the strength or the comfort or the guidance we need in that moment. That is why Psalm 112 says, "He will have no fear of bad news; his heart is steadfast, trusting in the LORD." It is not that we will never receive any bad news, it is that our God is greater than any bad news and He is able to keep us in the midst of the fire.


Struggling with fear since I could remember, I have learnt two things as God continues to deal with my fear:


1) Fear robs us of the abundant life to be found in the present. When the Israelites were confronted with the news of the giants living in the fortified cities in the Promised Land, they were overcome with fear...it took them to events that did not exist except in their fear filled imaginations: "If only we had died in Egypt! Or in this desert! Why is the LORD bringing us to this land only to let us fall by the sword? Our wives and children will be taken as plunder." (Numbers 14:2-3) Sadly, because of fear, they turned away a land of milk and honey which God had specially prepared for them. How many times do we live in fear of something that in the end never materializes, but in the process we miss the joy of the present.


2) I have also learned to respond to the spirit of fear in this way: "No thank you, you can keep your package of fear evoking thoughts. I will not take these thoughts of fear from you. If something bad is to happen to me or my loved ones, I will only consider it, take it and deal with it when it actually happens and in the presence of my God...not before that and not without God."


I will for example not host images of us being attacked in an armed robbery each day and night of our stay at the resort...or of being diagnosed with cancer...or of financial ruin or of any other kind of calamity. IT HAS NOT HAPPENED! These are empty thoughts from Satan and they are meant to paralyze us with fear and steal our peace and joy. Should any calamity do take place, in that moment I will deal with it and God will be right there to protect or guide or strengthen or comfort me and my loved ones. And even if we have to meet death itself, my God - who Himself has overcome death - will be right there...


That does not mean that I live in an irresponsible way or that I am being arrogant in the strength of my faith and the absence of calamity - far from it. I have also had my share of calamity in life. Rather, I am convinced that God is faithful and sufficient in ALL circumstances. Therefore, I reject the fear from Satan and choose to take joy in the present blessings from my Father's hand.


God bless you when you come in and when you go out.


Should you want to learn more on how to overcome life's challenges, have a look at my book "Bride Adorned" by clicking on the link at the top of my blog.




Until next week
Lize

No comments:

Post a Comment