Friday 16 May 2014

Stronger


We all have this idea that Christian speakers, authors, teachers, pastors and the like always have it all together. They seem so sure and steadfast in their Christian walk and with their strong faith we gather that overcoming struggles must be a breeze for them.  

Not so. I can now testify to this truth!   

Having had to travel to a neighbouring town this past week, I decided to dodge the radio and rather use the odd hour or so to spend some time with God. I decided to do a whole layout of my life and any issues that I have at the moment on a big imaginary white board with circles, lines and links all over the place. Having it all clearly set out and nicely explained to Him, I said, “Lord, this is my life at the moment, the current issues, the things I need clarity on and the things I need help with.” (God must have had a huge chuckle here...as if He didn’t already know)  

There was no immediate answer and so I listen to the radio a bit but then turned it off again. My mind drifted off to a Bible study by Angela Thomas called ‘Stronger’ that I am planning to do with some women in my home town.  Thinking of my own issues I was sure that they were not really that different from other people’s issues. Concerns for health, finances, the well-being of one’s family, work-stress... 

The question popped into my head, “What is it that we need God to be stronger than? Psalm 45 gives us a beautiful description of our Groom as a mighty warrior.  

“You are the most excellent of men...Gird your sword upon your side, O mighty one; clothe yourself with splendour and majesty. In your majesty ride forth victoriously in behalf of truth, humility and righteousness; let your right hand display awesome deeds. Let your sharp arrows pierce the hearts of the king’s enemies; let the nations fall beneath your feet.” 

Oh yeah, my God is strong. 

In my book ‘Bride Adorned’ I mention the importance thereof: “Christ goes forth to conquer the enemies of the Kingdom of God. Is not this kingdom the bride’s new home? Are not His enemies also her enemies? Yes, and therefore His fight is for her, to bring her safely into His kingdom!” (Bride Adorned) 

Yet, as I was pondering this question in the quietness of my car, it wasn’t any images of physical or spiritual enemies that came to mind. No, the final plea of my heart was this:

“Lord, I need you to be stronger than my ability to live out the redemption and salvation that You have already worked on the cross for me.”

You see, my mind – well trained in godliness – could easily identify not only the different issues in my life, but also and even many of God’s truths surrounding them. I KNOW God’s truths and their applications in my life. At the very least I KNOW to Whom to go and where not to go with these issues.

But knowing and living is not always automatically linked.  Jesus told His disciples, ‘The spirit is willing, but the body is weak.” (Matthew 26:41) And so my heart whispered a cry – “Lord, I am weak...” In the silence, the whisper came back, My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” (2 Corinthians 12:9)

God I need you to be stronger than my weakness.

I am.

He heard. He answered. He was stronger than...

I gasped, and cried silent tears of awe and wonder and love...

We serve a living awesome God.

Now the verses I have read a couple of evenings ago came alive upon my soul:

Praise the LORD, O my soul.
I will praise the LORD all my life;
I will sing praise to my God as long as I live.
(Ps 146:1-2)
 
and

Praise the LORD.
How good it is to sing praises to our God,
How pleasant and fitting to praise him!
(Ps 147:1)

What are the issues in your life right now?
What do you need God to be stronger than?
 
Tell Him, ask Him and oh, may your heart rejoice and praise Him as He tells you...I am.
 
 
God bless

Lize

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Lize -- I can definitely relate. Sometimes the situations around us seem all-consuming until we refocus our hearts and minds on who God is. Thank you for sharing the thoughts the Lord put on your heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer, yes, God is stronger as...We can entrust ourselves to Him...He is not only willing and faithful, He is ABLE. Have a great time with Him!!
      Love, Lize

      Delete